Monday, September 3, 2012

Livestock

The other day I joked that when I call myself a crunchy mom, it has less to do with watching what we eat and more to do with watching where we walk.  Seriously, my kids can take the house from tidy to trashed in 60. Our floor is not to be walked in the dark (sometimes not even in the light).  Little toys will either meet their doom, or possibly cause you to meet yours.

My mother has often told me of when my brothers and sister were younger and how no matter how much she cleaned, she could not keep her house tidy. The house could get and stay perfectly neat until the kids got home from school. Then a sweater was thrown over the back of the couch. Shoes were kicked off in the middle of the floor. School books and papers were tossed on the counter. Crumbs were scattered around the table and chairs left out from an after-school snack.

Expressing her frustration to God while she sat with her Bible during prayer one day, she turned to Proverbs 14:4, which says, Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox. (KJV)  Or as applied to her situation, If you didn't have children, the house would stay clean: but the life and love children bring is worth not having a clean house. She was quite comforted by that thought.

I am not so enlightened.  When I read that verse, I think to myself, Exactly!  Like bulls in a china shop.  They are animals and the house is only clean when they are not in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment